Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Do you remember when times were hard, Oh so hard ...

So I've found my new cure for keeping people I don't want to bother me interupting me at work: headphones. (Anybody under 26, you know you don't bother me and I enjoy chatting it up with you because you actually talk about something interesting.)

It doesn't matter if I'm actually listening to something good, currently John Legend, or just hearing the background noise and the noisest of all neighbors (anybody who works at 8455 knows who I'm talking about). If I have them on, I don't get bothered. They make it seems as though you don't want shit to do with any interruptions, and well, that's the truth.

However, this morning I made the mistake of leaving the phones in the car, and I got caught trapped by a drive-by conversation I could have done without - the one other black male who currently works in my office. He's nice, but senile.

He started rambling about Mizzou-UMKC game last night, and how Mizzou almost lost. Not that big of a deal right? No. But he somehow ushered his point into how he used to play ball back in the day with his brother and friends in his neighborhood. He said he used his jumping abilty to balance out the fact that he's 4-foot-7, and his outside shot? You didn't want him to take it, because he'd drain it. Then he went into how the problem with today's black youth is how there are no neighborhoods because of cars and bad parents.

What does any of this have to do with Mizzou or UMKC? I don't know. All the while, I just sat here with my hands still typing on my keyboard as a signal trying to convey the message "I'm busy, so would you please keep to steppin, and stop with your unnecessary comments?!"

Duk, you have to know what I'm talking about.

But no more of that. The problem is solved. Headphones. Legend's Live it up is playing now, and passers-by are ignoring me like I want.