Sunday, March 26, 2006

Platinum Justifies Something, So Long As It's Not A Shower ...

So today, I haven't done much. Cleaned house. Watched a little Women's NCAA Hoops. Looked at the pictures of Adam Morrison crying like a little bia bia or Dick Vermeil after losing a game he shouldn't have lost again and again (click the link, it's worth it). Completed some albums on my I-Pod.

The latter of which was the most important thing thus far. Ever since I got this thing, I have needed to get my collection of Brian McKnight and R. Kelly albums together. So that's what I planned on doing today, starting with B. McKnight.

I got every album of his that i didn't have downloaded from I-Tunes except for Brian McKnight, and then started organizing. I had all but finished when a soulmistress, who has tormented me about McKnight's faults in this life, started to taunt me.

Actually, I preempted the taunt.

dmansmi: i've been downloading/organizing stuff for my I-POD ... I have nearly every track from every Brian McKnight, no I don't care that he beat his wife. he still makes good music - album since his first ...
dmansmi: Ok, I wish he hadn't beat his wife, like I wish R. Kelly hadn't peed on that girl ... point is, he still makes good music ...
soulmistress: but you think homeboy can't make love songs after cheating on Halle
soulmistress: thats a crime
soulmistress: but beating your wife...eh?
dmansmi: ... hey, it's the quality/quantity ...
soulmistress: that you can overlook
dmansmi: Eric Benet's music is good, but it doesn't quite have the quality of R. Kelly or Brian McKnight ...
dmansmi: Has Eric Benet gone platinum (or had a No. 1 single on the Billboard 100)?
soulmistress: don't ask me

My point exactly. How many times has Brian McKnight or Robert Kelly been on top of the Charts? Each has a No. 1 single. McKnight had "Back At One," a song I actually don't even think is close to his best and Kells had "Bump N' Grind" from that classic album 12 Play.

Where is Eric at? His best on the Billboad 100 was "Spend My Life With You," at No. 21, and he needed Tamia's help. It's probably the best - or the one that makes the most sense ("Back at One" goes in circles) and isn't about humping on a teenager's (Aaliyah's) leg - of the three songs listed.

Anyway, that's not the point. Kelly and McKnight have pumped out album after album, year after year of quality material all but Kelly's TP3.com (his worst effort ever). So do we condone their sins, peeing on underage girls and beating their wives? Hell, no.

But will I listen to their music? .... Umm, I have most every album either has made. (Note: sarcasm ahead) And I'm sorry, cheating on freaking Halle Berry, i don't care how many husbands/boyfriends she's been through or if she's that crazy, is far worse than beating your wife or peeing on a 13-year-old girl, who wanted to be urinated on.

Oh, wait. There is something worse than cheating on Halle - beating Halle (allegedly D. Justice and/or W.Snipes), and look at where their respective careers went after that. In the toilet, speaking of which...

Remember what Riley Freeman said: "Oh yes! The Victim. At what point does personal responsbility become a factor in the situation. I see piss coming, I move. She saw piss coming, she stayed. And why should I have to miss out on the next R. Kelly album just for that."

Well, at least it wasn't a platinum shower.