Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Getting Off Waivers ...

Riding with Broham Rmattwill to the a local bar for the Heat-Bulls Game (D-Dub and the Heat won) I hooked up the i-Pod to his system.

I left my phone in the house, so as we pulled off, we had to immediately turn around so i could grab it. When I came back out, he was listening to an "old school" (somehow mid-90s isn't quite old to me yet) song. It was Lo-Key's Sweet On U.

So you don't know who that is? It's all about that Kansas City baby (though they were originally from Minnesota, they had some KC connection). The folks from the City should know what I'm talking about. Rmattwill didn't quite pick up on this one either. But I fast forwarded two tracks, and low and behold, there was another Lo-Key track, the more prominent I Got A Thang 4 Ya.

Rmattwill's head immediately started bobbing, and he began singing along. He remembered from his youth. In that moment, I was a proud older brother for a moment.

Fast Forward. We got to the Grandfalloon. Miss Summers, who I hadn't seen in a good eight months, met us there, and we had a blasted munching on Nachos, Maker's & Coke, etc. I forgot my camera, as usual.

We started talking about my new crush and how I had kicked it with her a few times before last year and before then. I asked Rmattwill if he remembered her at all. His response:

"Damon, you didn't talk to me last summer."

"My bad. I forgot," I replied.

"Yeah, I was pretty much riding the bench then," he said.

"The bench? Dude, I spent the whole year on waivers," I came back.

We both laughed hysterically, and gave the black man's high-five bka the hand pound.

I guess it's safe to say that I do have my swagger back. Coach has re-entered me into the starting line-up, and I'm refusing to come out. Twenty and 10 every night out. Guaranteed like Kobe's game-winner on Sunday against the Suns.

You sick of the sports analogies? I've got about 2,500 locked up in the closet. But I'll leave them there. I'll holler at you tomorrow. Until then, just know that "I ain't mad at cha."