Sunday, June 18, 2006

And in the fourth quarter ...

I like to Mike Jordan'em." No this isn't another D-Wade post, though later today that could be the case. Just read the story below, and you'll understand.

By VICK DAMONE, JR.
The YRUN2DP Press

"And in the fourth quarter, I like to Mike Jordan'em."

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. - Jay-Z turned Michael Jordan into a verb with the phrase above, and claims he always comes through in the clutch. Well, Dame Scott did so in similar fashion Saturday afternoon at the College Blvd. Bowling Lanes.

Facing sure defeat, Scott delivered a strike and spare in the tenth frame, and edged out a 113-112 win over "tough as nails" Tiff. The victory secured dinner and a movie to be paid for by the loser.

"My first game is usually a bad one anytime I bowl," Scott said. "Honestly, I didn't think she would be as good as she was. She told me she bowled a 68 last week. Who knew she was capable of this. I had to step my game up a bit earlier than expected. But I have to give her credit, she played a consistent game."

He did face a real scare though. Scott trailed heading into the final frame by 14 points. His last ditch effort gave him hope, but it was Tiff's last second blunders that actually gave Damon victory.

After bowling nine solid frames, she knocked down just five pins in her final one. She needed seven to win. Once at the destination for meal, Fridays, she had to pay for, Tiff refrained from commenting about her game.

"Don't talk to me right now," she said repeatedly when asked questions after the game.

The two had trash talked each other all week long, and Scott said he was just relieved to walk away with a narrow victory.

"You know, I'm speechless right now (clearly not the case because he's talking)," he said. "You can look at it and say she gave it to me because she messed up in the final frame, but I also had to put myself in a position to win.

"I can't help that she went Dirk Nowitiki in her final frame and I came through like D-Wade. That's just how I do. I did that, and now she must pay."

Arrangements for the movie have not been set just yet.

As they left Friday, it appeared to be on bad terms. Scott ran out after her screaming this phrase:

"You gone pay what you owe Tiff! You gone pay what you owe!"

Vick Damone, Jr. is a senior staff writer for YRUN2DP. He can be reached at dmansmi@gmail.com or by leaving a comment below.