Wednesday, June 21, 2006

No more "Curls for the Girls" ...

So last night I told Heathclaire that I planned on chopping off my bushel of hair today.

She lauded me with this faint "yay" (notice that it's not "YAY!") almost as to say "You should have done this weeks, maybe months ago. Now you might actually look right," but without saying it really. She didn't say anything aside from that - like twice.

It never seemed like she was a fan of the curls. But there are some out there including my moms. I always get compliments on it when I'm out, and I like it. But it had to go.

You see, understanding my hair is like aloof men understanding women. It ain't really happening - unless it's explained. Unfortunately for you, I'm not going that far into to detail except to say that I don't have to wash my hair every day to be able to make it look the way I want it to look.

It's gone or as K-Duck or any other Chicago Southsider would say "He gone!"

I went to my cousin barbershop, and I had to remind him of his joke about my hair whenever I let it fro out: "I'm your No. 1 fan" from The Incredibles.

But then we actually got into a good discussion as we always do. The question of the day, well, I've been asking it to random friends for the last few weeks, but ... Who are the five best comedians (stand-up) since Eddie Murphy?

Now, my cousin, the barber, is a comedian. No joke, he opened for Cedric the Entertainer just last week, and does shows all around the midwest. So his opinion matters. We actually ended up not being to far off from each other. Here's my top five, and a few stragglers. Our top four consisted of the same guys.

Honorable Mention: Katt Williams, D.L. Hughley, Bernie Mac, Kathy Griffin, Cedric the Entertainer and Adam Sandler.

5. Lewis Black - The most sarcastic white man I've ever seen, and you wouldn't think tight, sarcastic white men would be that funny, but Lewis Black pulls it off well.

4. Martin Lawrence - His movies are all whack, but if you have seen You So Crazy, then you you get the hype. Dude is mad crazy, but his real life stories are funny as hell.

3. Dave Chappelle - He's raw. Insightful, and not afraid of race issues at all. He's probably the edgiest of any of the comedians on the list, and I think that's why people love him as much as he does.

2. Jamie Foxx - All I have to say is, Have you seen I Might Need Security? If you haven't, then you couldn't understand why he's right here. But he's supposed to be.

1. Chris Rock - like fine wine, gets better with age and actually talks about the important things in life without a problem - politics, relationships, etc.