Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I Walked Out of Her Life A Long Time Ago ...

If you knew me back in the 90s, you knew I had a thing for the original Miss Thang, Monica.

I loved that jam "Don't Take It Personal," but more so "Before You Walk Out of My Life." Nevermind that I was 15, and no one was walking in and out of my life aside from classmates day to day. I just loved the jam for some reason, and wished I had a bit more Monica in my life.

Well, my wish came true. Back in 1998 when Monica dropped The Boy is Mine the album, one of my colleagues at the time set up a phone interview for me with Monica over the phone. At the time, I triumphed it as one of my greatest moments in life. Bump everything else I'd done up to that point in life. Monica and I had a 20-minute conversation.

A year later, I met her in person at some concert and got to interview her again and pen a concert review.

I was excited for this opportunity to meet my "celebrity" crush of the mid-to-late 90s. I put on my best fit, threw on some cologne (co-log-nay) and got a fresh fade for the occasion.
I left in total disgust.

Why you wonder? The interview went well, aside from the fact that i couldn't stop staring at her tattoos. The main one of concern was the one on her right forearm near her wrist.

Mind you, I was sheltered to a degree. I didn't think such a beautiful woman had a need or desire for a tat. I was in shock. My thang for Miss Thang was over.

It was hard to take her seriously after that. I refused to buy her next album, or really give the music a chance because all I remember about her were her tattoos, and how she couldn't hide them. On TV, they hid those tats from us for much of the 90s. But it was impossible in person. The little girl was gone.

So to see Monica now? All tatted up the left arm and singing to the tune of "Everytime the Beat Drop." I'm kind of like, there's no comparison between her and Brandy now. Take Brandy, hands down. I don't think I want to hear anything else Monica says or sings. It's not going to live up to "Before" so I'm good.

Although, I'll admit, Brandy's situation (The whole fake marriage thing that involved an newborn baby) was a little bit worse than having a few tattoos. But, to each his own.