Thursday, November 16, 2006

The BET Hip Hop Awards Report


I suffered through the BET Hip Hop Awards last night. Thank God that I did so with alcohol in my system or else I might have been cursing Deborah Lee more and laughing less.

For some reason, I decided to take notes and highlight the low points of this historic telecast. But first, I pondered the idea of having the BET Hip Hop Awards. I mean, we already have the Source Awards, the Vibe Awards and VH1's Hip Hop Honors. You'd think that would be enough, right? But you probably also didn't think that televisions belong in the back of car seat headrests, did you?

Anyway, to my notes/observations.

1. Puffy (I refuse to call him Diddy) gave out the first award for Hip Hop Video of the Year. But first he said he wanted to pay homage to two fallen Black stars. He said that, and, no lie, I immediately thought they were starting the Awards show off with a tribute to Biggie and Tupac, and their mothers were waiting in the wings. But he was actually lamenting about Gerald Levert and Ed Bradley.
2. T.I. won that first award, and who did he thank first? God. Infer what you will.
3. Lil Wayne and Birdman performed their hit song "Stuntin Like My Daddy." I had a problem with this because it conflicts with the idea that Hip Hop isn't inclusive. There is a not-so-photoshoped photo of these two kissing, and they admitted it on BET. How are they performing first? What's next? Is the remix going to be "Kissing On My Daddy" ???????

4. Did anyone else noticed that everyone of Monica's tattoos were covered including the hideous one on her right forearm?

5. Quote of the night: "Men lie, women lie. Numbers don't." ~Jay-Z while accepting the Hustler of the Year award. This is true. But it would be nice if Number didn't call black men niggas and black women bitches and hoes.

6. Why is there a promo ad for every hip hop album strategically placed somewhere on the stage?
7. Host Katt Williams aka Money Mike talked about how Flavor Flav ignored the teleprompter when he was giving out an award (or just running his mouth) with Delishshs (sp). No Katt, I think it's more likely that Flav couldn't read what was on the teleprompter.

8. What grown ass woman would allow for a man to name her Deelishis (i looked up the correct spelling), and be on his arm? Your name is not Deelishis, it is London Charles or Chandra Davis, whichever it is. It's wasn't a good nickname for a man when Cedric the Entertainer downed the name during the Kings of Comedy? What makes it good for a woman.
9. Did anyone else notice that during Young Jeezy's performance that there were women (presumably strippers) dancing on poles. Seriously? Are you freaking kidding me?!

This, ladies and gentlemen, is Black Entertainment Television. I'm not going to say what I think of Deborah Lee for allowing this to happen. Martin Luther would not be proud of me.