Thursday, January 04, 2007

Where Did It Go?

Looking at someone's facebook status yesterday, I came across an interesting observation. One of my friends had questioned what ever happened to the three-way call.

I sat back for a second and thought to myself, "Damn, it did kind of disappear."

Not really. I mean, you still have the option to use it, but who does? I used to get three-way phone attacked by John Lennon's Black Daughter and Ms. "I Can't Hear You Over Your Loud Ass Music." Usually around 2 a.m. after they'd left some club or something.

But that stopped happening. But it got me to thinking about the best three-way phone attack someone ever did on me.

You have to go back to high school. I think, sophomore year.

My best friend JJ (his initials) called me up to talk about this girl I was talking to/liked a ton. He started in with all kind of random questions.

"How much do you like (Hot Chocolate)?"

Easy question to answer.

"What do you think about (this girl), (that girl)?"

Again easy.

"Have you ever had sex?"

(Nunya).

But then, I started to hear a slight snicker in the background. I couldn't quite make it out, then it turned into a full blown laugh from a female voice. It was Hot Chocolate.

I felt totally embarrassed, and hung the phone up as they laughed. I'd never been spied on like that before.

I called Hot Chocolate back, and had a one on one conversation with her, no JJ.

Nowadays, I wonder if someone is pulling that trick on me. But it never happens (although I pulled it off a few times before the turn of the century). You know why? Because no one uses three-way anymore.

It's an impossible conversation over the phone that should be conducted in person.