Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Jonesing Again

I wanted to go and see The Last King of Scotland on Monday, but after I got a gory review, I decided I'd wait a few more days. Most of you already know, I'm not a fan of gory movies. I won't see any of the Saw movies.

So anyway, I decided instead to watch one of my favorites, When Harry Met Sally, again, and a question posed in the movie got me to thinking about Love Jones (you do know that on the back of the Love Jones DVD case that it pretty much says Loves Jones is When Harry Met Sally but for black people?)

What happened to Nina and Darius' relationship after the dramatic/romantic, lip-locking in the rain scene that ended the movie?

I asked this question of belizeanchica, and she said that she thought the relationship lasted another three years, max. She thinks that Darius moved to New York to be with his woman. But he went through another spell of "masterpiece of minimalism" type writer's bloc and ended up frustrated because his woman was more successful than he was. She felt like they'd go through the mill of today's typical relationship. You know, the "breakup-to-makeup, we're doing it again, and again and again, mary-go-round" soiree until they realize that it it wouldn't work, three years after the fact.

My opinion differed, but not much.

I think they may have lasted six months more. I saw their rekindling outside of The Sanctuary as a brief spark, but not an eternal flame. Darius doesn't move to New York. Instead, they attempt to make it work via long distance with frequent visits. Through a few more fights ("Is Lisa's number still on his fridge," Nina says) They eventually realize that they are two different people with two different directions in life. They once shared a strong connection, but that time has past. Nina becomes a Felicia to Darius, and Darius becomes another Marvin, and they move on with their existences understanding that they got the chance to say "what if" again, and it realized that it wasn't worth it.

What do you think? It's an interesting one. One that makes you think.