Saturday, February 24, 2007

PLEASE WASH HANDS

I have a new reason as to why I prefer Kansas over Missouri.

(For those who don't know, my mother gave birth to me in Kansas City, Mo., but once my father decided to claim me, they married and moved to Kansas City, Kan. Yes, they are two different cities that connect. After 18 years in Kansas, I went to Mizzou for college because, well, they gave me money. I now live in Kansas again. Now, back to your regularly scheduled blog. )

But my reasoning: men in Missouri don't wash their hands after using the bathroom.

I covered a high school basketball game last night in Lee's Summit, Mo. Before the game started, I made use of the lavaratory system. There were about five men, all grown mind you, who walk in handled their business and walked right now - without washing their freaking hands.

Most guys will wash their hands if there's another guy in the restroom just so they don't look nasty. But these dudes were bold.

I didn't tell anyone, in fact, at that moment I had no one to tell. But I wanted to scream at each of them as they walked away, "You bastard! You're going to give somebody some sort of disease doing that nasty shit. I hope your hands fall off."

It wasn't that deep though. So I just kept my mouth shut.

A few hours later, I went out with my brother rmattwill to some bar on the Plaza. Considering that we got our drinks half-off because we knew someone who worked there (notice how I'm leaving out the actual details so know one asks me to meet them at that bar), I had several Maker's and Cokes, my drink of choice/champions.

Subsquently, I made many trips to the bathroom. And each time, some guy refused to wash his hands. One guy ran water over his, but didn't use any soap. He gets an F for eFFort.

But would someone please tell me, is it that much of a burden?

All I know is this, I'm not shaking hands with any men in public places in Missouri unless I have on gloves.