Friday, March 09, 2007

I Apologize

Today I will explain to you why you should never tell someone that you are sorry for something that you did. This way, you can say that you learned something from reading my post.

You do something bad to someone. You have a remorseful soul so you decide to tell him or her:

"What I did to you was totally wrong and out of character. I'm sorry."

He or she is full of sarcasm, and instead of an apology they decide to humor anyone who can hear.

"I agree with you, you are sorry."

How do you avoid this situation where someone can make you feel worse than you already did? You always say, "I apologize."

I know it, it sounds a little to formal and contrite. It's also the name of a great Anita Baker tune, but that's neither here nor there. Just don't sing it as a part of your apology.

It seems insignificant. But, at least, you don't have to worry about someone ripping you a new one. This has happened to me many times, and I am just now catching on.

Ed's note: I don't do bad things that often. But it is apparent that I have many sarcastic friends who say things like this all of the time.