Wednesday, March 07, 2007

A U-Turn for My Sanity

Last week, I couldn't find my keys. Yesterday, I realized that I had misplaced my contacts. And today?

Well I got to the intersection of I-35 and 95th Street prepared to turn left on to the highway and take my five minute trek down the I-35, just me and my sportstalkradio like I do every morning. It was there that I realize I left my cell phone sitting on my bed.

This is what is happening to me since I started waking up frazzled at 6 a.m. everyday to go to work a few weels ago.

Now anyone who knows me, knows that without my cell phone I might as well be naked. I won't be surprised if at age 55 they find some insurmountable cancer inside my left thigh (where my phone normally resides) or on the left side of my face (where the phone rests when I'm on it).

That said, I had to make U-turn, or waste 10 minutes on the highways backtracking to my house, and risk being late for work. U-Turns, in my Kansas county, are legal. But when there is a police car facing you, they just don't seem all to legal.

I faced a decision: just go on to work without my phone or be bold and bust the legal u with the cop right on my tail.

You know me. I'm daring. And since I wasn't breaking a law, I chose the latter option.

With that choice, I was unceremoniously DWB-profiled. No, he didn't pull me over, but the cop got on my ass and followed me until I had to make another legal u-turn to make my way onto my street. I didn't want to make it, but I didn't have much of a choice.

I felt sick because I just knew that cop was going to pull me over and try to find some scratch on my record from 15 years ago. Please note that 15 years ago I was 11, and hadn't been behind the wheel yet.

I digress, this waking up at 6 a.m. daily stuff, it's gonna take a minute to get used to again.

Ed's Note: This has little to do with nothing, but I thought I'd mention that my favorite Brian McKnight cd is entitled U-Turn. I couldn't fit it into the story anywhere, so I stuck it at the end.