Thursday, April 12, 2007

Cohabitation? Good or Bad ... Don Imus? Bad

Three of my best friends females friends and I have been caught in this discussion about whether living with your significant other is a good or a bad thing.

All three were opposed, two of them until they at least had a ring on that fourth finger on the left hand. I understood all of their arguments:

I have the rest of my life after I’m married to live with the same person.

What if we break up? I’ve had friends in that situation and I want no part of that.

It’s just against what I believe.

All respectable arguments. But is it really that bad? I’m of the accord that if you love someone and you spend that much time with them anyway, living together isn’t that bad of an idea.

One of the three friends just had her boyfriend move into an apartment that is literally a walk down the stairs from her apartment. Would it be so bad if they shared living space and saved on rent and utilities? I don’t think so.

I’ve also seen this situation go south – a few times. But I believe it can work, and save a couple the trouble of avoiding a marriage if they’re not ready.

I’m curious as to what you think. Thoughts, criticisms and praises?

Forgive me, I need a moment.

(Silence)

I wonder what the public response would have been had Don Imus called the accuser in the Duke Lacrosse Rape scandal, which turned out to be completely unproven yesterday, a nappy-headed ho. I think most of America would have agreed with him.

My thoughts on Don Imus: He is an idiot. If his show isn’t cancelled, boycotting his show and sponsors pulling their advertising is paramount so his show becomes irrelevant (they’re doing this). The term Nappy-headed hoes is so 1992. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are not the moral/racial gatekeepers. Most of today’s rap music is the devil’s third cousin. Rap music doesn’t give people who make racist comments (the devil’s second cousins)

I don’t want to waste anymore time on him.