Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Keep Away

I ran into an interesting read on Yahoo! Today about the “Five Secrets You Should Keep From Your Partner.”

I always say that the only true secrets are the ones you share with no one. I’ll give my explanation on each one this guys "things he'd keep to himself" and whether or not I agree. They are as follows.

"You Don’t Turn Me on Right Now."
Yeah, I wouldn’t quite say this to a female either, especially not one I’m in a relationship with. If she doesn’t turn me on right now, then she probably never did, which means we aren’t together. Pretty simple. If your current significant other isn’t doing it for you at the moment, you’d be an asshole to actually use this phrase with that person.

"I Flirt With Others at Work."
I have no problem with this. I have flirted with waitresses in front of past girlfriends and will likely do it until I die. It’s almost innate. The problem comes when you do more than flirt. Flirting is harmless.

"I Can’t Stand Your Friends."
If this is the truth, why not tell them this? I would and have before. But then, maybe this plays into why I’m single now. Nah. If you don’t like a friend of your partner’s there is nothing wrong with telling that person.

"I Still Think About My Ex."
I still think about my ex how? Thinking about someone is one thing. But thinking about them and wanting to be with them maybe is a major problem and you probably shouldn’t share that. But if you’re just wondering how he or she is doing – who cares? The person you’re with shouldn’t be so insecure if you’re curious about how an ex is doing.

"I Can’t Live Without You."
Don’t say this. You will scare the bejesus out of your spouse. “I can’t live without you,” means that you lose all control of a relationship, and if you don’t have some control in a relationship you will be walked on like a downtown Chicago sidewalk. No person should even have this as a part of his or her vows during his or her wedding. That’s what “until death do us part” unassumingly applies.