Monday, January 28, 2008

Back to Black

So, we're back here again. Contemplating the issues in Black America. Wondering how we right what's wrong. But this time there's a twist. In the conversation I had with Wildcat-Squared last night, I told her while name her three biggest problems in Black America, she had to name problems of blacks created by blacks that can be fixed by blacks, i.e. no other races are allowed in the discussion.

I've been on this kick about not blame other races and the establishment for things we can control/fix. I'm subscribing to this new thought: "People who overemphasize the victim mentality don't dream. They live nightmares."

It's a line I came up with while considering a lot of things: King's I Have A Dream speech, A Raisin in the Sun and A Dream Deferred to be specific.

Here are the problems I came up with. In the next post, I'll give my solutions to each of the problems. Here goes:

1. The Black Family. I can take this a million directions. The rise of teen pregnancy, the crack epidemic, children born out of wedlock, the lack of positive examples, high divorce rates. Take your pick. All have had their effect on Black America. But now more than ever we're seeing the results of about 30 years of worsening conditions. Kids don't respect their elders because they don't know them. We used to be raised in communities where the neighbor could whoop that ass if you stepped out of line, and none of that exists now. The Huxtables are a myth, and the black family damn near no longer exists.

2. The Black Soul. I'm just finishing Souled Out? by Shaun Powell of the Newsday. It's an interesting read about how blacks in sports have lost what's most important - their souls. Now I'm going to take it a step further. Black society has souled out almost as a whole. Everything is about cars, cash and jewelry. From our black celebrities to the common man, everyone is looking to flash a little too much, and find the next dollar to flash a little more. All the while, few are tending to their souls. Few value the importance of making the right decisions over the $ight decisions. We have to get back to what's important at all levels - from the common man to the Russell Simmons of the world.

3. Black on Black Hate. Sean Taylor. Antione Walker. Darrent Williams. Jamaal Tinsley. Need I say more? Why do we not appreciate the gains of another black man, and applaud them? Why must we try to bring him down. It used to be that people would talk bad about the black man with the college degree. Now, not only do they talk bad about him, they rob him. They seek out the rich black athletes and rob them. This may be the most complex of the issues because it deals with the other two I've listed.

So those are the self-created problems I think are slowing progress within Black America. Wildcat-Squared only differed with one problem. She added the idea of how blacks tend to mishandle money. It's an important issue. I think it weaves itself in with my second problem sorta. But then again, money is a major part of that one. Anyway, those are the issues. I'll come at you tomorrow with my solutions.

Then I probably going to come with three problems created/manufactured by the establishment.

Out.