Monday, March 10, 2008

An Admission ...

There will be a week of my life some time in the next year where I will plant myself on a couch and watch every episode of HBO's "The Wire" from start to finish. This is because I have only seen maybe one episode ever, and I feel as though I'm about to lose my black card to this fault.

I have friends who talk about "The Wire," as though their lives would somehow be different if the show never went on the air five seasons ago. Yet, somehow I never got into it.

Maybe I never got into it because the one time I watched it was with my weed-loving cousin, who swears by it. He was trying to explain the characters to me while rolling/smoking a joint. It didn't work out so well. Maybe weed-smokers should concentrate on one thing at a time.

Some of my favorite writers, Whitlock and Bill Simmons can barely get through a 500-word column without mentioning it. Yet somehow, they haven't gotten through to me.

But it's okay. I will atone for my shortcomings. I promise you. My black card is that important to me.