Sunday, November 06, 2005

Feeling Better Than Some ...

So it's past Sunday afternoon, and I've got a lot on my mind. I did this once in college with a column, and I thought I'd try it here: a bunch of random thoughts from the day thrown into words. Here goes ...

1. Was anybody shocked by the fact that Dick Vermeil shed a tear or two after the Chiefs last second win over the Raiders this afternoon? "Dude, he cries when he wakes up in the morning," rmattwill ...

2. I'm trying to figure out how one of the biggest parties each month (First Fridays) in KC and the STL is thrown at the first of the month successfully. Aren't most people hoarding their loot the first week of every month after they cut the rent/mortgage check? By the way, I didn't go, not because I was broke. But because I was tired and had to be in Lawrence on Saturday morning ...

3. How does a death row inmate skip out of a jail without anyone noticing? It happened twice this week in the US. Two inmates escaped in South Carolina and one in Texas, I think? Doesn't that just make you feel safe - especially with Leavenworth two hops away?

4. Can anybody else believe that gas is less than $2 (in Mis(ery)souri)? I thought we'd never see that again.

5. It's obvious that 50 Cent has fully made the switch to pop status when football game announcers are making comment about him and refering to him as "Fitty." I want to say it was Randy Cross, but I can't remember who said it. I just know I was in total shock.

6. Speaking of shock, you can't be surprised by Terrell Owens antics. Owens is probably done for the season after a mid-week fight with a former teammate and another interview where he takes cheap shots at Donavan McNabb. I recall some analysts saying that he wouldn't make it through the season.

7. I'm just mad Owens is on my fantasy team, which I didn't even get to pick for myself. I'm 1-(a whole bunch of losses) this season.

8. On screwovers: Whoever picked the Raiders to cover the spread certainly were kicking themselves at the end of the game today. The Chiefs were favored by 4. After Larry Johnson scored the go-ahead touchdown making the score 26-23 Chiefs as time expired, any betters picking the Raiders to cover the spread had to be thinking "we're within four. we're ok," as the Chiefs celebrated. That all went to waste as the officials forced KC back on the field to kick an extra point for a 27-23 final.

9. R. Kelly should have kept Trapped in the Closet 6-8 in the closet or better yet, he shoulda put the film in the trash ... I won't spoil too much of it, but if you live in a neighborhood where a nosy neighbor will come to your door with a pancake turner after hearing a good shot, you might want to move. Of course, this just shows you that Kells isn't brilliant unless he's writing a song about a sexual escapade (i.e. Bump N' Grind, 12 Play, Sex Me).

10. Forget what you heard ... Chris Rock is the best comedian alive today. Long live Chappelle, but Rock is actually about something real, and Bigger and Blacker is on right now. I think I'm coming back with a list of the best comedians soon, and watch out for J. Foxx ...

Line of the day: "Not like this. Not like this." - Switch in The Matrix

Line of the day part II: "She got hit by a bus" - person on the phone.
"Thank the Lord! Yes! GO GREYHOUND!" - Chris Rock, in Bigger & Blacker, while calling ex-girlfriend's families to see if they have HIV.