Sunday, November 27, 2005

I think entirely too much ...

I'm still reflecting about things that happened last week. I think the conversations(AIM) I had with a new friend that I probably should have gotten to know a whole lot better four years ago combined with other stuff has helped to open my mind up to a new way of thinking.

Here goes: I'm finally content with the fact that I may not be married within say the next five years and that I'm not in any serious relationship currently. If you know me, I like the idea of being able to have that "only other half that makes you whole" but I'm really good right now considering some of the news I got last week.

First off, Nick and Jessica are calling it quits (I'm serious about this as well ... lol) after ? years (i really don't know). Secondly, word has it that my dad and my stepmother are now seperated. Thirdly (not a word), I learned on Thanksgiving of another seperation that placed a stamp on my thought process about a serious relationship:

---------- told me that she had been seperated from her husband for a few months now. She said she didn't have a problem with except for when her oldest child, who is not old enough to watch a PG movie without mom, mentioned that it was bothering her.

At that moment, I stood still with a blank look on my face just wondering how, if ever, I'd be able to deal with the idea of being seperated or divorced. I think I have had a big enough problem coping with splitsville in my serious relationships, and I wonder how I'd deal. It's at that point I realized that my relationship problems - minus one issue - are trivial.

Moreover, I can't imagine having kids amid that situation. You have to really be strong through an incredibly tough time for someone else. My mother recently told me that she had this experience when she and my father divorced ... I thought to myself "It takes me 24 hours and a few good conversations with friends and myslef just to really pull myself together after a bad fight. How do you do that?"

Anyway, I just wouldn't wish this on anybody. And now that I think about it, I really want to be sure I'm on the same page as my significant other before things really get serious so I can hopefully avoid the d or s word. I think of so many stories of people married before 25, and divorced before 30. I think the best way to avoid that is to not get hitched until the latter age. Shit, if even then.

... I'm still think about the potential for several "When Harry Met Sally" entries, and I'll get there in a day or two, maybe. But I must say it has to go in the top 10 of movies I've ever seen. Not top five though.

The things I'm going to hit on this week: 1) why you shouldn't date someone you're not attracted to. 2) Can men and women really be platonic friends (WHMS)? 3) .... a mystery to even me.