Sunday, December 04, 2005

The Best Lists Continue Below ...

My top five eight songs of the 2005 …
If you know me, you know I vibe to the mainstream hip hop stuff. But at the depths of my being is soul music. Neo-Soul. R&B. Soul. There haven’t been that many powerful albums or songs in recent past. But here’s a sampling of what has rotated in my CD player constantly in 2005...

Kem – I Can’t Stop Loving You. I was in my car after I purchased Brian McKnight’s Gemini the day it came out. They gave this out as a single with a purchase of Gemini, and I listened to this song about 15 times before I even heard the first track on the album I bought.

Mint Condition – Whoaa. I was just listening to a Launch on yahoo one day, and this popped up. Needless to say I was hooked. This is a real band that has made real music for a long time.

Ray J – One Wish. It came on as a New Joint on 106 & Park. I thought it would be lame, but Ray J actually came through with something hot for a change. Not that ‘Wait a minute,’ I’m crunk bullshit.

Babyface – Tonight, It’s Goin’ Down. I downloaded the first version of this CD, and found that this song is an unbelievable song to step to and get the mood right for a good night.

Kanye West feat. Brandy – Bring Me Down. To me the most powerful song on ‘Ye’s album (note: I didn’t say it was the best). I hit the repeat several times after hearing the strings and Brandy’s voice on the track.

Trey Songz – Gotta Go. The Triple B got me hooked on this song. I didn't hear it until it had been out, but it has a good vibe, and Songz has a powerful voice.

Alicia Keys – Unbreakable. I watch the Unplugged, and this is by far the best song she does. The lyrics are catchy. If I had to pick one couple she mentions to be like it’d probably be ‘Acting out like Will and Jada.’

John Legend – Ordinary People (released on Dec. 28, 2004). I heard it in 2004, and felt it then. But when you hear this song live, like I did twice in 2005, it will touch your soul. And if it doesn’t, the devil must already have it on lock.