Sunday, January 08, 2006

A Penguin-Like March ...

"I think the biggest factor is that films aren't connecting with the audience. I mean, look. March of the Penguins. How much did that movie make? I'm telling you, it's my belief that people went to see that film because there was nothing else to see. If there were good movies in the theater, they're not going to see a documentary about penguins. " ~ Spike Lee

So for some reason beyond me (I think I was drawn in by a friend who is fond of little animals), I wanted to finally see the Penguin Documentary. Anybody who knows me knows that don't rent movies. I buy them.

So when I saw March of the Penguins on sale for $14.99 at Wally World, I had to go through with the purchase. Now, I'll admit. I was slightly skeptical at first. It took me nearly an hour just to watch the first 2o minutes, and then I took a long (two-day) break before finishing it up last night.

I'll say that it was just okay. Intriguingly interesting. But just okay. There was one thing that really stood out to me, though. The likeness of the mating game in penguins and the black middle class social entity.

Here's an excerpt from Morgan Freeman's narration. Compare it to the stereotypical black middle class mating game and you'll understand.

"Because there are fewer males than females, hostilities amongst the females are inevitable. A taken male instantly becomes an unavailable male. So occassionally, a female will try to interrupt the courtship. The men don't seem to mind. They just wait for the fight to end and take the opportunity to preen. They're not that different from us really?"

Catch my drift?