Monday, March 06, 2006

The Academy Went Hood...

It's that simple. "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp," written and arranged by Three Six Mafia won a grammy, er, Oscar last night.

The award naming was preceded by a very hood performance by Triple Six. Obviously, they looked out of place, and even more so when they accepted their award with jeans and t-shirts on.

But I will admit, it was a hilarious/shocking moment. It was up there with Janet Jackson's nipple popping out at the SuperBowl and Brittany and Madonna kissing, though I didn't too much care for the latter one. Couldn't you tell that everbody was shocked from Christopher Bridges (Ludacris) to Dana Owens (Queen Latifah) to Jon Stewart (Jon Stewart)?

Who would have thought that the Academy would go hood? Not me. I expected that riveting song from Crash to win. I am glad Crash won for film of the year, though. It deserved it over that "Bareback" ish.

On another note from Sunday, I pulled a new first. I saw three movies in the theater in one day. I had several hours between interviews at the same high school, and apparently had some time to waste. I hadn't seen a few movies that I wanted to catch, so I made the effort to see them all.

They were 16 Block Parties Hosted by Dave Chappelle on a Firewall. All good flicks. A great use of a day after I'd seen six high school basketball games in four days and before I'll see approximately 16 in four before the week is over.

All I have to say is Dave Chappelle needs to come back to Comedy Central. Aside from the Boondocks, he's the best thing to happen to television, not those Desperado HouseWhores, in quite a long time.