Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Am I really that rude and inconsiderate?

So, I've prided myself for quite some time for being able to hold the conversation of best conversations with people. Friends & foes alike.

Need good social commentary or advice about your relationship or desire for one? I'm the guy to call, and I don't have a problem listening and coming up with solutions.

But I think that I've run into a slight obstacle. I think the better part of my conversations of the last few years have been dominated by a few people who completely meet me on my level of social thought and perception - not above or below it. They tend to understand the idea of jumping around from topic to topic in the middle of issues for no reason at all or to make somebody laugh.

Make you smile at all costs, that's my style. But I don't think some of these youngsters quite get it, as was the case in a recent conversation with the Belizeanchica, who claims to be the queen master multitasker.

She started talking about some old man and how he won't leave her alone (and blah, blah, blah - I must have been giving her the Chris Rock "Uh, huh; You don't say; get outta here; I told you that bitch crazy!) until she seemed to have finished her monologue: "Poor old man …I don’t know if he’s lonely or what," she said, and no she wasn't calling me old in that moment.

(silence)

"I gotta figure out what I’m gonna eat today," I replied, clearly not on the subject of an old man hooking her up with free stuff so he could get her attention, although I did hear what she said considering that I was able to regurgutate it here. I obviously made a mistake.

"Am I that boring? Am I that uninteresting? Do you not like what I talk about?"

"What are you talking about," I replied, honestly as confused as I could be?

"You just completely ignored what I was talking about, and just started talking about how you need to find something to eat. Am I that boring? It seems like you do that everytime we talk," belizeanchica said?

(brief silence) I actually knew exactly what she was talking about.

"... No ... I'm just like that ... I'm random ... I throw random commentary into conversations for no reason. Can you not multitask your conversations with in the conversation," I fought back.

"It's not that," she said. "I just think that if I said, 'man vick, I lost my right leg in a car accident.' you come back immediately like 'Yeah, this fish i made for dinner is on point'

She wouldn't stop with the examples. (Note to CIA who has an automatic link to the words assasinate and president in the same paragraph: this did not really happen. It's a joke from a friend.)

"Ey Vick, I assassinated the president, and got away with it," she would say. "And you would respond with (silence) 'I saw Inside Man, and it was the best movie, I've ever seen."

She certainly saved the best for last, though, and she posted this one on my facebook wall.

belizeanchica: Yeah, so last night me and a group of swedish biochemists found the cure to cancer...and along the way we figured out how to make michael jackson black again (silence)
you: oh my god! this is the best sandwich i have ever had!

My only real response to any of these remarks? "Hey, in your examples, I ate fish and more than likely a turkey and cheese sandwich, so at least I'm eating healthy. You know I'm ... (cough, cough), 'Am I losing weight?"

(Jamie Foxx fan's, please save me because you know what I just said. "cho, cho, cho ... Africa!")