Friday, March 31, 2006

Broham Adventures ...

Broham rmattwill and I made a quick trip to the Oak Par Mall, one of two worthy malls in KC, two days ago just to really look at the price of opening day tickets for the Royals & Tigers.

Yes, we're rabbid, die-hard Royals fans, and we've spent the better part of our existence dying with them year-in-and-out. He's going to be off, and well, I'm going to make time to go because I didn't see the Wranglers (the double-A farm club, and what we call the Royals because all of their players belong there) all of last season. The tickets were $39 each.

But that's not what this is about. It's about observation.

There are only three entrances I use to get into the mall. No reason, just habit. One is the food court, and that's where we went in, and as soon as we got to the door, rmattwill made an interesting observation.

There were several options for gluttony for one man - chinese, greek, mexican, pizza, Sonic ... But there were a few problems.

"Why are the mexicans working at the Panda Express?" he said. "Why are the Asians laboring at the Salsa Spot?"

It really didn't make sense. I looked over at the Greek place.

"Dude, there are Asians at the Greek place as well. This is off." The only place that actually had employees who looked like they maybe belong in place were at Original Pizza, which was run by what appeared to be Italian-Americans.

We walked around the mall, found the pricing for the tickets, walked in Express Men and a few other stores and then headed back toward the food court exit.

Rmattwill then said he wanted a slice of 'Zah, the one place that seemed original. We sat down for a second so he could eat. I looked over his shoulder, and low and behold a few black people were doing what black people do best. Sitting in the food court, they were immersed in a serious game of Spades.

This is 2 p.m. in the afternoon. Honestly, that's only something black people would do.

Come to think of it, I think I spent more time my senior year of high school playing spades during lunch than I did actually eating my lunch.

So I actually got up, and went to go and check on the score. Broham rmattwill thought I was slightly off for doing it, but for some reason it always interest me.