Saturday, April 01, 2006

Fools Rush In, Even on Days Like This ..

But I've done my share of fooling, no, not around.

Probably the best April Fools joke I pulled came two years ago. Magsnificent and I conspired to make DC's Fiestiest, a mutual friend at the time, believe that Mags' boyfriend had found his way on one knee with a ring box in hand.

I must say, I haven't come up with a more perfect plot. We were all at work for Kit's Evil Cousin at the time, and I just called up DC's Fiestiest and told her that Mags had come into the office showing her new bling and talking about how Mighty Mike had proposed.

DC's Fiestiest bit the bait hard like a lioness after her prey, and yes, she's a leo as well. She wanted to hang the phone up on me, and say congrats to Mags as soon as possible. I told her, embellished a bit more, and then got off the phone. I waited patiently for her to explode.

She called Mags constantly. Maybe five times on her work phone, a few times on her cell. She even sent her a few e-mails.

Mags didn't answer.

We just sat there laughing our asses off because it was April Fools, and nobody should honestly be fooled/surprised by anything, aside from something that's real, on this day. But she was, even though she didn't expect to be.

"Are you serious?" she asked.

"Yeah, the rock is huge and everything. You should see it. They ate dinner on the Plaza last night and while walking around, he just got on one knee, whipped the ring out of his pocket and..."

It was like taking a toy from a toddler.

After about 30 minutes of anxiety (for her), I called her back and told her it was a joke. She about had my head, but couldn't really do anything because it was April 1.

Ingeneous.

Sorry. That's it. There's no real moral to this story. Well, Don't believe anything anybody says on April 1, and if somebody proposes to you on this day, you need to take the ring to be appraised immediately.