Tuesday, March 21, 2006

An Ether-filled Takeover, Part II ...

(Ed's Note: here's an e-mail batte between the Duk and I. It's just the first part, I'll post the rest tomorrow)

Duk,

What's good? I thought I'd get at you like we were sitting next to each other in JOCO a few years back ... the "Good Times!"

Side Note: No, this has nothing to do with Jay-Z or Nas. Just liked the name and how it correlated to illegal drugs and a potential, yet hostile, takeover.
---
When Henry Aaron circled the bases and passed Babe Ruth back in 1974, I wasn't even a thought. My mother was finishing up her first year of college and pops was just graduating high school. They didn't even know each other for another four years.

But I remember seeing video over and over again. All I can honestly remember are the two guys, who ran their way into the history books, and the infamous clip.

I remember Aaron saying he didn't know what those guys were up to that night. Those kids and lots of hate mail/death threats petrified Hank during this time in his life. This black man was chastised for bringing down the greatest record in sports, coincidentally held by a white man.

It's weird. I think about Aaron, and can't help but see a bit of Barry Bonds - stern, confident and sure of himself. I also see the differences.

Sure, a pampered Bonds is cockier than a rooster at the break of dawn and Aaron is as humble as a professional athlete/icon comes. We're all sure Barry took the juice per the newfound catalog of books detailing every time he stuck a needle somewhere the sun doesn't shine. We're all just as sure Aaron was one of the game's best role models, an everyday workman reminiscent of blue-collar society.

Aaron is the epitome of Cooperstown, and people/media/idiots question whether or not Barry should share that same distinction. They question whether he should be allowed a shot at Hank's record.

I'm gonna keep it real: Barry Lamar, even with the 'roids scandal, belongs in the hall next to Hank, next to the Babe, next to Pete Rose (at least I think so). He deserves a chance to get to 756. Forget a probe. Forget the idea of suspension because of alleged suspicions or unproven truths. Why? Per the rules, what has Barry Lamar done wrong? Nothing.

Morals? That's a different story. Barry Lamar French Connection UK'd up. But this isn't about morals. This is about the true American way: hustle when you can, cut corners at all costs, get to the top and slit the throats at your feet to stay there? Right? Don't you explore all of your options, and take the best ones even if they involve getting your hands a little dirty?

All Barry, who had HOF-bound credentials when he left the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1992, did was try to get Michael Jordan-status the same way Mark McGwire did in 1998.

He did what he had to do within the realm of possibilities, and now we want to vilify him for it. Are we that quick to forget Jose Canseco in 88? 40/40 Club (No Barry, sorry No. Jay-Z either). I was eight, and I remember the steroids talk, and how nothing was done. We're so quick to forget the bottle of andro in Big Mac's locker ... remember that one, too. ... and who knows about Slammin Sammy.

No one cared. Why do they now? Because Barry may have committed perjury? He may have, but I don't think that is what this is about. The dude is about to embark upon territory unbridled.

This is a hostile ether-laced takeover.

Seven-fourteen and beyond: Numbers many of us never got the chance to see except for in the history books and in those faded video clips from 1974, and we don't like change.

People thought Babe Ruth was a joke for revolutionizing the game with the HR. Some thought it was a circus, and ruined an otherwise "pure" game (that's sarcasm thanks to Shoeless Joe and Co.). I've already mentioned what they did to Aaron for passing Ruth. That cycle is just happening again, and would have whether or not Barry got here clean or with his checkered past.

I remember cocky Barry, the same one who used to pat his chest and thigh in rhythm to be cool while shagging fly balls in left field of the 'Stick. I remember the Barry who looked like an idiot while dropping one of those precisely-timed shags in a live game.

I recall most of the allegations (domestic abuse, roids, asshole). The No. 73 is stained in my memory, and I'll remember when he hits 714, 715 and if he's so fortunate 756. If/When he does, I'll be happy because I will see him do it.

Anyway, I'm out. Peace, love and too much soul.

Later,
D. Scott