Tuesday, March 14, 2006

He won't stop, but I will ...

Finally home from an exhausting week of travel, disappointment and high school hoops, i decided to fall asleep to the words, pitcures and motion of the film Hitch.

I've seen it about 1,400 times already. I guess it's the idea of the atypical guy sweeping the unfathomable beauty off her feet and into his arms when no one thought it possible that gets me. Though, I'm quite sick of Will Smith - can't quite tell you why, but I just wish he'd leave now.

Speaking of which, have you ever noticed how Black men always seem to be running in movies? I'll take you back a bit ... Remember Boyz N' Da Hood?

"Ricky!" ... Those cats were trucking it, still so sad they split up (Dude was going to "bang many hoes" in college. Think The Best Man and Morris Chestnut).

How about those Bad Boys movies? Men in Black? Or any Wesley Snipes movies? Love Jones? Yup, remember Darius chasing the train ... the same scene came up in Breakin All the Rules with J.Fizzle.

Notice how in all of those flicks except for Hood they're not running from the police or anything else. They're all chasing something that no self-respecting man (i.e. one who is not Barry Bonds, Ben Johnson or Jose Canseco) can catch ... we're talking cars, trains and my personal favorite, aliens.

Why is this? Can somebody let me know? I mean, how is it that a man chasing a car going 25 mph can keep pace although no man has ever run over (guesstimate) 15 mph? Wouldn't that mean he wouldn't have a chance?

Now I'm not saying there's something wrong with a man dumb enough to chase a car or a train with a woman he loves in it. I understand it. It just wouldn't be me. Nowadays, there this thing called the cell phone that tends to work.

So there's no reason to chase somebody. Just keep calling their cell until they answer the damn phone. Okay, that's a joke. But aren't they both truly stalkerish tendencies?

Also notice the central theme around Will Smith? Do his ginormous ears flapping help increase his speed or is he working out in the same gyms with Barry?

I think there's something to be drawn from this ... Black men are always chasing or running from something, and they need to just chill out. Like Comm said, "Walk like warriors, we were never told to run."

So you know, I'm done running/chasing after things I have no control over and running from the things I need to control.