Thursday, March 23, 2006

How to Be a Player ...

"But now, look at her, she got this game on lock. Anything that she ever wanted, now she's got it. And I'm proud of her, I'm so proud to see that someone like her is in control, Womanopoly," the phone rang to the tune of Musiq Soulchild's Womanopoly.

The phone call was coming from one person, Q-Boogie, the one female friend of mine I consider to be a playa. Boog has this ability to penetrate men in ways the befuddle me, and she did it again recently ...

"So what have you been up to" I asked since we had really had a convo in few weeks.

"Well I went on two dates on Monday, but they both were pretty bad. The second date I thought I was supposed to be meeting somebody other than the person who showed up. "

(Silenece)
"You're doing way too much. How did that happen? How do you make a date with somebody, and its the wrong person? That's too much playing"

"Well I went to this party with co-workers on Friday and I gave three guys my number," she said.

Baller, right?

"The first guy and I made eye contact from accross the room, and we were feeling the song that was playing so we started dancing."

When it was over, he asked her for her phone number, and playing hard to get, she told him to find her later.

"Then I moved to another room and some salsa music came on, and another guy asked me to dance."

"Did you give him your number, too?"

"No, we just danced. Then the first guy found me and got my number."

She then ran into so guy who introduced himself as Gee-Money, and promptly asked him what his mother named him, all while staring at his wingman/cousin, we'll call him Darius Lovehall.

"He asked me what was into, and I told him I like spoken word sets, and he told me he was into that as well. He had me then"

"So were you his Nina at that point," I questioned?
(uncontrollable laughter)
"So, of course you gave him your number, right? Who was no. 3? You know this is starting to sound like a scene in How to Be A Player?"

"Umm, there was some guy sitting in an Infiniti about to leave his friend who was still in the party as i was leaving. He asked for my number, I thought he was cute so i gave it to them."

Ok. That part's settled.

"Now, how did you end up on dates with two of these guys on Monday? Were they dumb enough to call the next day?"

"Uh ... yeah," she said.

"I guess, so where the dates worth it?"

"The first date (on Monday) was alright. But we didn't have much in common, different cultures (blah, blah, blah, blah blah)."

"Ok, so you didn't go 0-for-2, did you?"

"Umm ... I didn't recognize the second guy when he got to my place to pick me up."

She thought she was talking to Darius Lovehall wanna-be on Saturday, when Infiniti and Beyond, the guy she just thought was cute, was the one ringing her phone/doorbell.

"He called me when he got here, and asked if I saw him. I was looking, but couldn't find him."

"Q, you know that's fucked up? right?"

(silence)

"What?"

"So how was the date?"

"He wasn't as cute as I thought the other night, so I wasn't impressed. I just wanted to go back home. The bad thing is the guy i really wanted to call never called ... why does that always happen?"

Huh, I wonder why.