Thursday, April 27, 2006

Calling the Huxtable Residence

I called Claff Huxtable, a cominbation of Cliff and Claire Huxtable because this specific young lady is going to medical school once she finishes law school, for the first time last night.

Sick of typing/talking on AIM, I wanted to use my voice, so I picked up the phone.

I'll admit calling someone - friendship or more - for the first time, even if you've known the person slightly for the last five or six years, is not always easy. You never know what to expect.

You don't know what someone's voice sounds like or how you'll vibe off of it or if it will annoy you. So the thought of calling scared me a little. But I guess, I drove out the fear, picked up the phone and waited patiently for an answer.

She did.

And to my surprise, things flowed smoothly, like almost to easily. It felt like we had been talking for the last four months everyday without pause. Though we have conversed on AIM and we've kicked it randomly a few times, the phone is a different story. It usually takes time to get used to the way someone talks.

But we were defintely on the phone for over two hours, the only interuption was my janky phone dying without warning, straight - talking about relationships, relationships relating to what we perceived from our parents and siblings growing up, God, working within oneself, the real meaning of Love, etc.

You really don't expect things to flow like they did, and you don't expect to thumb through Bible verses with someone the first time you talk with them. But that's what happened, and I needed that on so many levels.

I made the conscious decision to cut a few people off, two that I talk to most frequently, within the last several days. So I wasn't having the best evening, already because I made one of the conscious decision yesterday.

I needed someone to talk to lift my spirits.

So to chat with someone who met me on numerous levels, and the convo flowed between laughter, seriousness, thought-provoking, spiritual, playful banter ... I know it made a difference in my night and how I feel today. It made me realize that all of those qualities just described are feasible in new people.

So thanks Ms. Huxtable, if you read this ... it meant a lot.

It made me realize that I need some serious me, soul searching and finding, time from this whole idea of trying to be with someone. I've got things for myself that I just have to pull together before anybody seriously enters the picture, and I'm going to take the time that I need before I do anything else.

So no, it won't be a 30-minute televised revolution like the The Cosby Show. It's a saga that's going to turn into an uplifting mini-series soon enough.