Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A Thing That Will Make You Go "Hmmm?" Part Duex

Since I started this whole eating "healthy and all that other ish" kick a little over a month ago, I've only had one real slip up, though I'm not sure you can call it that really.

I ate a cheeseburger from Burger King with the belizeanchica and co. about two weeks ago. I didn't really want it, I just went along for the ride, and when we got there, I didn't want to feel stupid or make her or "co." feel like they were being pigs. So I got a cheeseburger. No big deal.

After we ordered our food I stayed at the counter while belzeanchica and "co." did other things, i.e. wash hands, stare at dumb kids having a birthday party at Burger King (Who does that?) and what not.

I happened to overhear a lady putting in her order.

"I'd like two Double Whoppers with cheese and ... a side salad, and ... a large Dr. Pepper," the lady said.

It didn't hit me until a few minutes later. But then I thought to myself, and I didn't say it aloud.

Who orders two Double Whoppers and a side salad from a fast food restuarant? At that point, are the fries really going to kill you?

Then I thought a little bit more. Why would anybody in there right mind go into McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's or any other fast food joint and order a side salad or some fruit? Don't you go there with pigging out in mind? Don't you want the grease? Aside from the huge lawsuit that came down on them, I'm befuddled as to why these chains have "healthy" items on there menu.

If you want a good salad, go to Panera. You don't go to Burger King and order a double whopper with cheese and your salad. You're really defeating the purpose.

Now, about six months ago, I probably couldn't say much to it considering that's what my diet partially consisted of, junk food. But now - even without seeing Super Size Me - I think I'm disgusted by almost all fast food aside from Wendy's.

I seriously think that there is something in the food that you taste when you're three for the first time that makes you keep coming back. I remember passing a McDonald's with my two nieces, 3 and 1 at the time, and all they kept saying was "finch fies! finch fies! We want finch fies Uncle Damo!"

I know it caught me while I was in middle school and toward the end of high school.


Honestly, I know my slip-up will come soon. I heart Wendy's, and Wendy's chicken nuggets heart me back. But whenever that moment happens, I'll guarantee you that I will not purchase a rinky-dink side salad or tastless fruit to go with them.

By the way, I'm at my current goal of slightly under 220, which is good. I want to be at 210 by the end of April. I'll keep you posted. ...
----
I don't know if there are more things that will make you go "Hmmm?" if you think of any let me know.