Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Drumroll Please ... (My Top 5 Mizzou Moments)

Most people who went to fair old Misery don't have too many great moments. They have bad memories that stick with them like Dirty Dobbs or parking tickets (I do have both of those in the memory bank).

But I had a conversation with an old friend recently, and I challenged her to come up with her top five Mizzou moments. Of course, she came back at me, and here are mine:

(Drumroll Please)
5. First semester, freshman year. This was the first time I really experienced puppy love, with PoleGurl. I didn't take anything seriously in high school and my time with PoleGurl is something I will cherish for the rest of my life. By the way, if you don't get the name, I told PoleGurl to treat me like a stripper pole, and in a hapless attempt, she tried to swing around me. Yes, she felt hard to the floor and bruised her buttocks, thus the name, PoleGurl.

4. Neophyte practice. "Listen, Listen, Listen," was my favorite phrase while practicing for my neophyte show with my lb's. They'd stay on me because I had all these ideas, and got shot down every day. It turned out to be a humbling, yet fun experience, and it was certainly fun to hear a lot of people screaming my name, and cool to finish my clutch (or rap). My favorite gifts? The ones from the Ds that came through crooked and backwards (wink, wink).

3. 9/11. I actually wasn't at Mizzou, instead I was busy beginning an internship in Dallas, at the Morning News. Needless to say, it was an amazing/trying experience to be in away from most of the people I loved during that day/time. I wanted to be in class, and in all actuality, I was. Just one that produced an Extra that day and had news meetings every 20 minutes to update on status. Still, I wish I could have been with my friends. I think I used a good 400 daytime minutes that day. Good thing it was on a company phone.

2. March 11, 2000. The day I got my life back. If you don't understand, you don't understand.

1. November 9th, 2002. The day I met my best friend/worst enemy. I know that may seem confusing, but meeting Double B aka Black Barbie was an amazing moment in life for me. I've learned so much from the situation. It's caused me to think at a level I didn't think capable for myself. I've spent so much time searching for the love's definition, and I found it in this situation.

Note: I think it's interesting that I remember the dates for the most important days. 9/11 is obvious, but the others aren't quite. But they stand out like a black student in a college class. Maybe, I'll come thru with my five worst moments tomorrow or later tonight ...