Thursday, May 11, 2006

Summer Time Lockdown?

"Drums, please ... Summer, Summer, Summertime, Got to sit back and unwind ..."

So I thought spring time was the period where everybody got themselves together for the summer, and the soiree of flirting, mingling and prancing about the other sex. I thought wrong.

A few of my friends have gone into the May version of lover's row hibernation.

Seems as though John Lennon is about ready to give away his Black Daughter at the altar. Q-Boogie told me that she is mesmerized by some neosoul type character from Charlotte. Reports have it that PrettyTeeth is on lockdown as well. What is this world coming to now? Is this a sign of things to come?

All I know is that some of my best friends are dropping like flies in this love game, and I'm losing valuable conversation time, and I don't like it.

PrettyTeeth, well. He's on lock, but I did go and kick it with him and Ms. PrettyTeeth about a week ago, so that's cool. I'm used to late night dialogue with JLBD, and by late I mean just 11:30 or midnight. But now I don't even want to call because that dude might be there. Q-Boogie, my best friend since freshman year, well she has a full team of all-stars anyways. So with the addition of the Charlotte neosoul player, I'm just getting less and less phone tic coming my way from South Beach.

I just hope they don't lose touch with the people who have their backs, and they won't. So I guess I shouldn't be too upset. When I'm in hibernation love mode, I cake with the best of them. I disappear from the scene like Patrick Swayze in Ghost. In my first real college relationship, I'll admit, I didn't keep a balance in my life. It was all-time loving, no-time friending or rare-time hanging.

But the second one, things were different. I include my friends in a lot of the things I did. I still went to visit, and hang tough in the middle of the night. I'd even take Victoria with me sometimes.

Yet, I know I still have the tendency to go right into hibernation mode. Anytime I've had a special visitor in the last few years, I've pretty much been mute to my phone and it's been mute back. I know that habit has to change. I have to do a better job in the future, and I will. I'll show you.

I need to be like Wildcat-squared who, when her boyfriend calls, hands the phone to Wildcat-Squared momma so she can talk to him and get her fill of his day. (Yes, I'm clowning you again Wildcat-Squared)

I've realized that friends are extremely vital to a healthy relationship and a person's growth as an individual, and I know I can't let go of that aspect of life no matter what happens with me and some blessed young lady.

"It's like the summer's a natural Aphrodisiac." ~ Will Smith, Summertime