Friday, June 09, 2006

It's Like an Interest-Bearing Account ...

What's good people? Nothing much here.

So yesterday I had a couple of good random conversations (not necessarily with the someone I want to have stimulating talk with, but that's a story for another post). One was with a good friend who has never had a real relationship, the other was with two random females about my age at Friday's while watching the Heat lose (damn!) game one.

The second one, I could probably write a book about. But the first one was quaint. We simply came up with a way to determine what a relationship, considering she's never had one, really is.

You know I have an analogous mindset. I want everything to tie together like shoestrings (see I did it right there).

So I started thinking aloud. Being in a relationship is like ... ... ... ...

Yeah ... I initially drew a blank. I couldn't connect it to anything, but then I started thinking about money for some reason.

"How about this: being in a relationship is like you giving your mate $1,000 and he or she giving you that same amount in return for no other reason but to trust you with it," I said. "That $1,000 they hold is your love. It's your time. Your emotions. Your physicality. Your conversation. It's you within the relationship and vice versa. All of that is in that mix somewhere. You're just trusting that they won't take the money you've given them and invest somewhere else or share it with someone else because, of course, that trust is then broken. And their are penalties for that. But you work through the struggles without laying hands on those $1,000 investments because you want them to earn that interest. It's like a CD, you just want them to leave it alone as you are leaving theirs alone as well, and watch it, or the trust, grow ..."

"You really just compared a relationship to money," she says.

"Yeah. But think about it. A relationship is just building trust in a person to know that they'll always be there for you."

"So it's like choosing a bank," she says.

I say "Yeah" as I nod my head, although she can't see it because I'm on the phone.

"How do you choose the right bank?" she asks.

"Honestly, you're probably going to make a few mistakes before you actually find the one you'll be with for years to come. But when you read the fine print for what it really means, you'll know."