Friday, August 18, 2006

Go Shawty ...

"Don't expect much, that way you won't often be disappointed." ~ me.

That's my quote for the day, and always has been on my birthday and around Christmas. Heck, it's actually a motto for everyday life at this point.

Yes, today's my birthday. 26. I'm old as hell. I'd sing myself a song, but that's what six-year-olds do. Plus, I'm still waiting on someone to sing to me the way Marilyn Monroe sang to Mr. President a few scores ago.

I digress. I promised you a birthday story. Well here's the one I'll never forget.

My birthday always falls on a day when schools seemed be lurking around the corner. My freshman year of high school, I was at freshman orientation. My freshman year of college, I moved into Graham Hall's third floor that day.

It was easy for people to say happy birthday because, well, I was around a lot of people. It was alright, aside from that I'd prefer to be on a beach somewhere instead of thinking about textbooks and classes.

But for some reason, school didn't start until like a week later this year. Not bad, right? Wrong.

Let's just say that this was my 16th birthday (I guessing, but considering this to be the 10th anniversary of it, well you get my point) and it wasn't so sweet (not that I preferred it to be).

I think the only people to wish me happy birthday were my mother, my brother rmattwill and my step brother. I didn't mind it despite one thing.

My father and stepmother walked around the house the entire day, and purposely said nothing to me about my birthday, purposely gave me nothing (which I expected) and pretty much ignored me and left me in the house the entire day. I think it was all because of something I did (which I still don't know what I did) wrong.

Pretty ignorant.

I don't think I've had a lower moment in my life. That's not the way you treat your good children, those who should be closest to you. It's one of those things you always live with not believing that it actually happened to you.

I don't rehash the story to relive the past, but I guess it's more so to explain why I don't get upset when my best friends forget my birthday. It happens. Hell, I do it all the time except for Quiana's and Dionne's and Shannon's (because Q's is the first day of every year and Dionne's is the day before mine and because Shanny's is two days before you file your taxes).

If you expect little, you won't necessarily find yourself upset that often.

All that said, I expected a little more than I should have today, and I'm slightly disgruntled. But I'll get over it. Shit happens, including your date of birth.

And Thanks if you wish me a happy b-day (no relations to Beyonce's pending album, although relations with her would make my b-day, lol).