Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Cell Swap, and With Good Reason

As you can see I haven't been writing much, just thinking. I've been doing a lot of mourning for the loss of the Chiefs season in week 1. Your condolences are truly appreciated.

But for real, my mind has been stuck on this thought of ex-communicating unnecessary horrible people, that is plural, from my world so that I can continue to progress. So with that said, I'm about to change my cell number in the next few days (not really changing, just getting and extra line and stop answering my current one ... you can leave a message and I might get to it like a few weeks later).

The idea comes from a good friend, and it makes good sense. It pretty much stops any major urge to answer the phone when someone who doesn't deserve to talk to you calls. It's me admitting one of my faults and saying it's time to correct it and get off the perpetual merry-go round because Mary has been running laps around my sanity for years now.

It's a tough decision for me because I've had the same cell number for almost four years now (and four years of the same problem, and omen perhaps?). Before that I had three different ones in three years (still had problems, no omen). I don't even remember my first number (I ran up a phat ass phone bill month after month. What? There were no free nights and weekends yet).

But, to me, my number represents so much. So many of my friends have it, and reach me on it on occasion. So many sources have it, and get at me with random info. 816-679-7??? has been my calling card for so long.

But it's time for change, and I finally believe change can be good. It's time to be proactive. It's time to jump off the merry-go round, even if it's still circling the play ground at blistering pace. It's worth the injury, worth the scars.

When it comes the celly, though ... I guess the good thing is that I can send out mass text messages to the people I want to have my number. I hate texting (any information disseminated with only ones thumbs is ignorant technology), I guess that makes sense.