Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Still on Hiatus

If you haven't figured out by now, apathy bka "CP time" is a major problem in the black community, too. It just didn't make my top 5.

I don't buy compact discs anymore. Well, rarely. I have to really want to support the artist to buy their cd. Normally, I just download the album I want from a site where I pay for it, but cheap - and legally.

But when it's an artist I want to really support I actually go to Best Buy, and swipe it. Example: John Legend. Example No. 2: Jay-Z. Example of something I would download: Justin Timberlake's latest album. Catch my drift?

So where am I going with all of this? Well, I've purchased every Brian McKnight album since, well Brian McKnight, the self-titled first album. Great songwriter, brilliant musician and - most importantly - apart of my favorite genre of music, R&B/Soul/Neosoul.

Also on his resume/rapsheet: womanizer, cheater and I think someone told me he beat his wife. That all came after I bought Gemini the day it came out. Well, I thought to show my displeasure with these shortcomings, I'd boycott the album and not buy it for a week.

Today marked the end of that week. Thus, I took the two-minute drive to Best Buy from my apartment and scoured the aisles for Ten, McKnight's newest album. To my chagrin, it boycotted me.

The store sold out of it earlier in the day, and all I could think is "are you serious? A Best Buy in a suburban neighborhood is sold out of Brian McKnight's new album."

I thought the fact that I couldn't find it was a joke, so I asked an attendant. No joke. They'll have more next week, and I am lazy/will not overpay for any album. Thus, I refuse to go to FYE or Walmart or Target or Circuit City. There's a reason they call it Best Buy.

Maybe I'll just downloaded it later anyway, I never actually listen to the CD anymore. I always just rip it to my I-Pod.

I digress.

I got home, and found out the world is coming to an end. How do I know this? There were four different episodes of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air on four different stations and Barack Obama, who could likely be this country's next and first black president, was giving triumphant speech on C-Span all at the same time.

Enough of my ramblings.

Actually not. Do you really know what CP time really stands for? For the longest time I thought it was colored people time. But I don't think that's it. I believe it's "cotton picking" time. Are there any other's that fit?