Sunday, December 10, 2006

A Quick Break ...

Before I proceed with my top 5 problems concerning Black America, and their solutions, I'm taking a quick break to talk about an interesting finding this weekend.

I made this is movie weekend. I rented Waist Deep. The only thing that attracted me to this film was the idea of a man being separated from his son, and how he got him back. It turned out to be just as I expected, a waste of my money.

I also took a trip to the local AMC to see Blood Diamond. Interestingly enough, the two plots, Blood Diamond and Waist Deep, were similar. They each had the same plot: a black man in pursuit of a diamond(s) in order to retrieve his son, black men vying for territory in each film and underage blacks using guns (in Blood Diamond, they were a little too younger).

I just found it to be a weird coincidence. Two movies about completely different things, end up being the same story. And no, Leonardo DiCaprio didn't help Blood Diamond find any depth. It still didn't live up to its hype, and he better not win an Academy Award for this.

On another note, I also took in Mel Gibson's Apocolypto, and I must say it was a great movie with a simplistic message: driving out fear is the way to success. I didn't know what to expect, and it pleasantly surprised me and taught me something new with the story about the Myan Society. It did have its share of unnecessary gore, but this is a Mel Gibson production (see the Passion).

But back to Blood Diamond. The number of kids, and I mean kids, slaughtering their own countrymen in Blood Diamond was quite alarming. I didn't know that over 200,000 African boys are armed gunmen in wars. Scary.

Anyways, tomorrow I'll continue the countdown. We're at No. 2, the Failing Public School System. And I have my share to say about that. And yes, I know this was random.