Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Why I Shouldn't Drink


I don't have the best memory. To prove this, one of my best memories is how my younger brother once had to direct a youth tennis instructor (no I can't play) to my father's house when I was about six because I couldn't recollect how to get there. My brother was four.

I digress.

An old college friend, probably my biggest college crush that I did nothing with at all besides just hang tough with, found me on Myspace yesterday. It's one of the few things Myspace is actually good for these days.

We went back and forth about life, and how ours had progressed. Me: no kids, no wife and living in Kansas City, my home since birth. Her: no kids, no husband, and living in the Philippines, half the world away from where she was born, after spending a few years in LA.

It didn't shock me much that she found her way to a place no one would suspect her to be because this girl, now woman, was once as random and unpredictable as a college student could possibly be, and that's pretty random.

Now, what did surprise me was her memory. We traded words over four or five e-mails, and then she went off-kilter and just flipped whatever the subject was. Apparently Musiq Soulchild's "Settle for My Love" started to play on the radio where she was and she said this to me:

oh man... music soulchild just came on... "settle for my love." music is CRAZY like that. the first time i heard this shit i was in your room as well!!! good times man. Aww. memories.
Who remembers things like this? I have faint memories for the most part. Not "I remember this specific song we were listening to when we were in this exact spot in your room" type stuff.

It kind of threw me off guard and flattered me slightly as well. I mean, that did happen about six years and about 60 pints of Bacardi ago. I guess it could be the alcohol or maybe even bad genes. Well, at least I'm not bald like my brother. Remember, he's two years younger than I am.
......
P.S. JLBD has a message for you readers: I have something you can blog about. That bullish with the Miss USA scandal and how Donald Trump gave her a second chance. We all know that if she had a tan, she would never have gotten a second chance.