Wednesday, December 20, 2006

From Cute to Fine in 60 Seconds

Best Buy's lines are, well, ridiculous. Even if it weren't Christmas time.

So my quest for this Brian McKnight compact disc, yes I still haven't purchased it yet, continued today at Target after I refused to wait in a Best Buy line the length of the Nile River.

I searched under McKnight, and what did I find? Gemini. Already got it, so I went to an attendant in the electronics section and asked him for help. Did he help? Answer that yourself.

I did however pick up toilet paper, pledge and some carpet sprinkles. When I got to the check out line, I was greeted by a cute, but underage looking, young black Target worker.

"Are you ready to check out," she asked me?

"Yeah."

"I'll take you on three."

"Thank you," I said liking that I received a bit of personal attention and good customer service.

"So did you find everything alright," she queried?

An easy small talk question for a clerk, but I, at this point, was slightly disgruntled because i couldn't find the album I was looking for without waiting for 30 minutes to buy it.

"Actually, I didn't," I replied. "I couldn't find a CD I wanted."

"Was it the Bow Wow CD?" she asked.

Pause for sec. Was she serious? I mean, I know I totally looked like a scrub at the moment with my sweats on, "but why would I (dare) buy a Bow Wow CD?"

"It could be a gift for someone," she said. "It is the season for giving."

I wouldn't give a 14-year old cousin a Bow Wow album for her birthday. I'd buy her some Luke before I bought Bow Wow (that's a joke).

"You're right I guess, but that wouldn't happen."

"I suppose that's for young females anyway."

"How old are you?" I asked knowing full well that it's impolite, but not really caring because I was curious at this point.

"21, but I know I look younger it runs in the family," she replied.

My first thought: Damn. She completely threw me off and I had to throw some sympathy her way when I really wanted to ask her if she'd bought the Bow Wow CD, but what 21-year old really listen to "Lil" Bow Wow?

"I know the feeling, but let's put it this way, when you're pushing 60 you'll probably look like you're 45. That's not a bad thing."

My second thought (after we'd said our "Happy Holidays" and goodbyes): Damn, she's went from cute to fine just by telling me she was of age. She really was/is fine.