Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Against All Odds

So rmattwill and I went to the mall on Sunday afternoon to upgrade his wardrobe (and allow him to letoff some of his frustration after the Chiefs debacle), or at least attempt to.

Seeing as how my funds are fairly frugal, I was only along for my expertise with clothing.

That being said, my eyes were adrift during the entire trip, not necessarily on clothes but on the people in the mall. I know, we all people shop. But have a very bad habit of doing it. At least I don't spend the majority of my time talking about people.

On this day, rmattwill did the talking.

"Did I miss the memo on it being okay for everybody to be in an interracial relationship," said rmattwill, who is in his own relationship with someone of the caucasian persuasion.

"Apparently we both did," I responded after seeing our third mixed couple in approximiately five minutes of entering the mall.

After that, I started a count, and I swear it didn't stop until ten, at which time I turned to my brother, looked and chuckled.

"Hey, your options are better when you don't cut off the majority race in the country you live in," he said.

Damn. He had a point. Maybe a lot of these black guys - and girls, because about half of them were black women with white men - had wised up. Maybe they were able to put aside all of their ethnic differences and heritages for "love."

"Maybe, I should consider inter-racial relationships,"I proclaimed.

Then I thought to myself, my mother would kill me, but she's okay with my brother, who has been dating the rainbow since he felt out the crib, doing it. Then again, I don't think I'd be able to be myself with a white woman. In fact, I know I wouldn't. So that's out.

But I will say this, the odds are a whole lot better. lol.