Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Movie-going update

I finally got around to seeing Babel yesterday. It's my third of the five nominated films for the Best Picture Academy Award.

The other two: The Queen and The Departed.

It suffices to say that Dreamgirls probably should be on the list. The Departed is the most compelling/complex. The Queen was interesting, but not because of the acting. And Babel? Well, that one is just downright impossible to understand.

There's good acting. There's great cinematography, and even an interesting story line. But it really goes nowhere at all, which is kind of upsetting. It's like a (really) poor man's Crash, and it probably cost more money to put together. I'm almost mad that I went to see it. Speaking of which, do not see Children of Men. You will be disappointed. They don't even tell you why women stop making babies, and that's all you need to know.

Anyways, I'm glad Beyonce is not nominated for Best Actress because that would have been a token nomination. I wish Jennifer Hudson were up for best actress because when you steal a film like she did it's clear that everyone was supporting her, not the other way around. But she should win.

I'm going to see Little Miss Sunshine in a few days.

All this movie watching makes me want to write. Who knows? Maybe I will.

Oh yeah, I finally watched Akeelah and the Bee. Great movie, and the hispanic kid who befriended Akeelah was the best character in the film, better than Akeelah even.