Monday, March 19, 2007

As previously stated, I Think I Love My Wife turned out to be a worthwhile flick. Amusing with a decent story line that provides plenty of social fodder for people my age who are thinking about taking that leap of ... faith, matrimony or destitute, depending on how you look at it.

This is what I took away from the movie and the conversations that followed for myself and my future. There are several things that will need to happen in order for me to a) not desire to cheat b) not leave my future wife and c) not actually cheat.

They are:

1. I absolutely have to be with someone I laugh/have fun with consistently. If there are constant moments of awkwardness, silence and indecision there's no way.

2. A married woman who doesn't give up the booty is ... a woman who should be a nun, instead of hitched. it's that simple. You must fulfill all of your marital obligations or else your husband has the right to leave you.

3. Good conversation. Not just goofy fun talk. But an eclectic mix/weave of the intellectual and silly, whimsical and sarcastic, the light-hearted and serious.

4. Someone who understands love, and how to give it. So many people think that love is that "flights of fancy" bullshit, and its the furthest thing from it. More like, how much can you give without realizing/caring that you're giving? That's love, and what I want.

5. Someone who can accept faults. We all have shortcomings, and if you think that you're going to walk into a marriage and not live with my few downfalls in life, you're crazy.

6. Trust. Most important.

That's what I walked away from the movie realizing I need from a significant other. None of that "we're staying together for the kids" type shit. No, the woman needs to come through bring just as much to the table as the man does and vice versa...

... Or else, you might find yourself in a situation like Chris Rock was in beginning to live a fantasy with a new-found old friend. ...