Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day ...

I spent the better parts of Saturday and Sunday with my mother. We all, well some of us celebrated Mother’s Day on Sunday, and I figured spending some time with my mother would be in order.

On Saturday we went car shopping and on Sunday we went to lunch at her favorite restaurant (messing up my brunch idea).

If you know me, you know I love my mother. But she’s crazy. Not she-needs-to-be-locked-up-in-a-home crazy. But there-are-times-when-I-wonder-if-we-should-lock-her-up-in-a-home-type crazy.

No really. She can just be an annoying person. One of her favorite things to do is to ask me, “Who is your mother?”

When she does, I always just look at her with this blank stare and think to myself, “Does you she really still think I’m five? Do I look five?”

Really, WHO DOES THIS?!

Now if you can imagine her asking me that question three times every hour for approximately five hours on Saturday and seven on Sunday, you’d understand what I survived (barely) this weekend.

Now, I can say I did have some fun, engaged in some intriguing conversation and learned some new things about my mother that gave me new insights into her.

I think the most interesting thing that she said is that she had spent so much of “my life trying to figure out who I was.”

I replied, “I’ve learned that finding yourself is the easy part. Keeping yourself is where you get into trouble.”

I don’t know. Learning what I did this weekend makes you almost want to give her a break on the way she is considering the things that she’s been through in life.