Sunday, January 13, 2008

The 8-track skips ...

Upon further review, we are a generation of John Legend track No. 8s., and we love replaying first down.

We're a people made ordinary by our relative relationship problems, issues and situations we allow into our lives over and over again.

Remember when your parents told you to never make the same mistake twice? That whole "same on you, shame on me" cliché. It seems very few of us were listening.

See, I've conversed with four friends in the last week who have either rekindled or revisited past relationships. Another good friend uploaded pics to the Internet of he and an old flame in recent days. Finally, an old friend I know longer talk to blogged about a sociopath/ex of hers, and how she's allowed him back in.

The fact that I even read her blog attests to this theorized problem. I also added my first ex-girlfriend as a friend on MySpace a day ago.

Why are we like this? Why do we not give up on people we shouldn't associate with on any level? Why do we give second and third chances? Why don't we move on? Does the globalization of our world have that profound of an affect on the way we operate?

I don't know.

I draw parallels between the child- and adulthood. The way our parents treated us, the fact correlation to growing up in a one-parent home and having abandonment/approval issues. I know I have them to a degree, and they have played some role in my relationships/friendships to this point.

But that can't be the answer for the majority of the people out there or can it?

Yet it seems we never learn. It seems we just keep allowing the song of our life to skip without ever cleaning the compact disc. It seems as though we all make failing decisions no matter that we know right from wrong.

We all want what we want, even when it's obvious it's not for us. And until we differentiate want from need, passion from infatuation, we'll continue to be John Legend Track No. 8s: 'Ordinary People" repeating the same shit over and over "Again."