Saturday, February 16, 2008

If You Are What They Say

The MC inquisitively released the word as if he were curious to see who would step to the stage with no moniker, just a name.

"Damone," he said? "Is here a Damone in the house?"

And with that, I thrust myself into a spotlight. I almost didn't make it. As I got up from my seat, I almost tripped and busted my grill because I couldn't see a step in front of me.

But I made it to the stage intact. And the MC handed me the mic. I looked up into the stage lights and realized that I couldn't really see the crowd that well. There was about 150 or so people there. I warned them that I hadn't dropped any knowledge on a stage in what amounted to three-plus years, and to "bare with me."

Then I went into These Words: "I want these words to dutifully pirouette while encompassed about by a chorus of doubters which has only but a seed a hope within in it."

I finished that line and the co-host fell out of her on-stage chair, flabbergast. Her moment made me lose my train of thought, and I had to start over. It got the nerves out of me because I knew somebody would feel me.

It gave me a confidence, and I got through the entire poem. At the end, I got a standing ovation. The MC, he took the mic I had, and promptly told the crowd that "no one is to touch this mic for the rest of the night."

I was just relieved to finish it without and major screw ups. I told him I had another one for him (Buildings), and he let me bring down the house at the end of the open mic set.

This time, I went to the stage with confidence. I took the mic and just ripped it (it's easier to recite something that rhymes). I got another standing ovation. The MC jokingly told me he disliked me.

DMilly, who had been trying to get me out to this open-mic event for months, and I left after that poem. She gave me a big hug for doing it, and said "I told you," because she knew that I would be able to move the crowd.

I thanked her for forcing me out. We talked outside in the cold for a few minutes, and I couldn't feel it because of how good I felt.

I mean, once I got comfortable, I felt at home on the stage. All of my worries, my fears they escaped me, and I just vibed. It's honestly one of the best feelings I've ever experienced. I felt like the dude Lupe rhymes about in "Superstar."

And I can only say thank you to DMilly for forcing me my star to shine.