Monday, December 05, 2005

Spiking Black Hollywood ...

Excuse me for how harsh and point blank this is: Black Hollywood, accept for a select few, SUCKS. I said this a while ago (see here). I actually want to see something that is stimulating for the - black mind. Shit the mind, period. Not some bullshit about the Flux of Aeon, a flipping video game, or a story about a wack rapper making his money of the fact that he got shot nine times and survived it and some powerful beats by Andre Young aka Dr. "Not the fat one from Yo! MTV Raps" Dre.

Now I finally have some affirmation about the Black Hollywood from a man who always does the right thing. Spike Lee pretty much blasted Black Hollywood - well, most of Hollywood - for it's desire to make a quick buck and the overall lacking of good films.

His best remark:
"I'm still convinced that a larger segment wants to be stimulated. People are getting tired of seeing TV shows remade, or movies from the 1950s, and comic books, and sequels. People say, well, it can't be the films; it's the video games, it's the 900 channels, it's this and that. All those things are a factor, but I think the biggest factor is that films aren't connecting with the audience. I mean, look. March of the Penguins. How much did that movie make? I'm telling you, it's my belief that people went to see that film because there was nothing else to see. If there were good movies in the theater, they're not going to see a documentary about penguins. " ~Spike Lee to Slate Mag.

A little dialogue:
Slate: OK. But can you be so sure that if the gatekeepers were African-American they would promote films that are in the social or aesthetic interests of black audiences?

Lee: Look, you get into that position and you know that first of all your films have to make money no matter who you are. But I can confidently say that if there had been a gatekeeper at MGM, I don't think Soul Plane could have gotten made. I'm confident in saying that.

Slate: So, if you were the head of one of these studios for example—

Lee: No, that's not something I want to be or aspire to be.

Slate: But if you were, you wouldn't give a green light to projects like that.

Lee: Well, all I'm saying is that there would be more variety and diversity as far as subject matter. And I would hopefully see a greater picture of African-Americans' experience vs. one that's limited to comedies and hip-hop, drug, gangsta, shoot 'em up films.

Here's the link to the whole conversation he had with Slate Mag - http://www.slate.com/id/2131367/?GT1=7428.

Can we get a black Closer, About A Boy or Unfaithful? Something real. Please. And Soon.