Tuesday, February 07, 2006

It's been a long time ...

I shouldn't have left you, without a new post to step to ... step to, step to, to step to ...

Yes, I'm back, and I could have come back to the blogging world with lyrics from the Mase remake "Welcome Back" rendition, but I decided to come correct via the Timbaland and Aaliyah track.

Yes, I have a song for everything.

You feel like you're in love: Brian McKnight - Never Felt This Way
Your girl just broke up with you: Brian McKnight - One Last Cry, After the Love has Gone, Shoulda, Woulda Coulda ...
You want people out of your business: Bobby Brown - My Perogative
You want to profess your love for your local neighborhood ho: T-Pain - I'm in Luv (Wit a Stripper)

Yes, I know what some of you are thinking, is this a real song? It is. Go to ITunes, pay your $.99 and hear it. It may or may not be worth it to you, but it's hilariously horrible.

The chorus is the title. Now can you actually imagine a man who wouldn't be embarassed to say that he was in love with a stripper? No (good, self-righteous) man in his right mind would tell any of his friends or post this message anywhere.

The only thing I think about when I hear the song is how Chris Rock said that "if your daughter's a stripper, you've fucked up" and then i think about what type of man goes after the daughter whose father "fucked up."

Not this one. Still, I digress to some other interesting news.

Hustle & Flow was a decent movie. I will not deny that. But there is no way Terrance D. Howard should be up for an Oscar for this movie. I repeat, no way. It's a great performance. But he was better in Crash. His role in Crash was gripping, better than Matt Dillon's.

I just wonder what kind of message the Academy is sending to America about Black people when it hands out Oscars to Denzel for being a crooked cop, Halle for being a whorish no-good mother and nominates Howard for being a pimp reformed by his ability to flow. And though it was a stellar performance, we can't discount Jamie's role of a coke-addicted, womanizing blind musician.

What happened to role's like Denzel's role in say John Q. One word: gripping. The movie came out the same year as Training Day, but to farless critical acclaim. Does the Academy and America prefer to see the black man as crooked, rather than see him trying to do right by his family and by his son?

Does America and the Academy prefer to see a pimp turn himself into a struggling rap artist more so than be unveiled to the racism played out in most every American community to this day?

Pure unadulterated ignorance.

More ignorance: Triple 6 Mafia, the Memphis group that brought you hits such as "Slob on My Knob" and "Ass & Titties" is nominated for an Oscar. No not a grammy. An Oscar for their rendition of "It's Hard Out There for A Pimp," from you guessed it, Hustle & Flow ...

I'll repeat that for you. Three 6 Mafia nominated for an Oscar. Before last month I had a better chance of taking home that statuesque gold figure more so than 36Mafia. Think about this, If they win for best soundtrack song, or whatever they're nominated for, they'll have voting rights.

Three Six Mafia with Voting Rights? I'm telling you if they win look out for State Property 3 for film of the year next February ...

I'm telling you. This is what they want from us.