Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Just Another Day

There's one thing my flawed father figure actually taught me in life. Well, he taught me a lot about what not to do - because he did everything wrong.

But he also told me to treat every day as though its the same, no different from the next or previous. Your birthday, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day and Father's Day, etc. I did say the man was flawed, so I thought/think this was his way of avoiding the expenditures that come along with those days. This is the same man who purposely went my entire 17th birthday ignorning while walking through the same house I lived in on purpose to hurt me. Still, I digress.

This day, Valentine's Day, will be just another day in my book. Nothing special & nothing ignorant (that I know of yet). The last three years, my Valentine's Day has been hell because of one person. But I must say, I've had some great female friends come through for me and treat me like a king on the day i felt down (Granny, Cara, Chlo Chlo, Cole and roomie). Really good people, and I love you all. Chlo Chlo came all the way from the STL two years ago with Cole to keep me company because they knew I'd be down. True friends.

This year, though, there is no celebration of any kind. No high marks. No down moments. No disappointments, because I'm not allowing for that. I'm just chilling.

I think I'm going to go out (the mall) and frantically watch the men of this world bust their asses to please their women, or the woman they want to be their's. The line outside of every flower shop in the city is going to stretch into the parking lot no matter what time of day it is.

The eateries on the Plaza will have hour-plus waits, and I will just watch and laugh at all of the ignornance. Hallmark will cash in tomorrow big time, and all of these people are getting everything all Campbell souped up to try to please somebody on one day when all they have to do is do that to a certain extent everyday. It's really just another day.

That's not the bitterness talking. I'm not bitter. Just spitting the truth. Tell me what's better than dropping a surprising gift on your significant other on March 22 to celeberate Women's History Month? That's a lot more spontaneous that the rudimentary Feb. 14, and a lot less expensive.

Here's the extent of my Valentine's Day giving for tomorrow. A poem I wrote for the person who has made Valentine's Day a living hell the last three years. I'm a really kind and loving person.

Pictures
Sorry, this time
There is no CD
Just a pen, a pad and my heart
Connecting from you to me
I mean, from I to you
So many times
Either of us has made mistakes
Causing us to think we’re threw
Somehow though
Love would pull through
In the midst
Of a misty morn
All that was scorn
Faded into the distant past
The stills lost their color all too fast
But the image forever last
Imprinted in your mind
Etched in my soul
Enveloped in my heart
Just patiently waiting for millions more words to unfold.