Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Thinking, Knowing, Believing ...

I think a lot, know little and believe less.

Anyone who gets a chance to know me, knows that I'm an introspective person who overanalyzes everything. I wonder why people cheat. I wonder if a color-blind equality has a chance in hell of existing (but in hell, won't ever thing be ashes, or colorless, because it's hot as, well, hell?).

See, there it is. Inside of this post, I've already broken down something within that second graph. I love breaking down words and phrases, what they mean and what their intended purpose is.

Like CP time. Every black person known to man knows that CP time stands for "colored people" time. I don't believe that to be truth. I believe it comes from the term "cotton picking time," from the North American slavery era. Think about it.

Still, I digress to the thought at hand. I've been contemplating which of these three words (not I love you or any other Stevie Wonder song for the matter) - thinking, knowing or believing - is most important.

Recall a situation where you heard some one say, "Oh, I think so" or "I know that for a fact" or "I believe that's the truth" or finally "I think, no, I know." Which one hold the most validity and weight?

Thinking is already out of the window because it's indecisive, and no one likes indecision. But it's knowing and believing that cause the quandry within inside of me. I hope I don't lose you, but I'm going to explain this:

Knowing

I think we as people have a problem with wanting to know everything, good and or bad. Knowing (isn't it half the battle?) has it's positives. But the first thing I think of when I think of wanting to know is Adam, you know the guy, your great-to-the-infinite-power grandfather, who brought sin into the world.
He wanted to know good and bad, chomped on the forbidden fruit, and look what happened.
But really, a lot of times, being omniprescent in situations in life doesn't help us much, and it sets us back if we can't handle the bad with the good. Here's another point. Often if we know something is there, we have no reason to struggle for or desire it.
Like, for instance, if we could tangibly touch and know God, would we really break bread - or love as he loved us - the way Paul tried to teach the Corinthians? Would we "seek his face" if we knew what it looked like?
Believing
They won't let me use this word in a story for work unless some actually says it. It's a strong word that can be confusing in nature. Some believe believing is crazy. But if knowing is power, believing is divine. It's where man finds the ability to create, to breath, to live.
Intangible belief gives us hope for some reason to desire for something we know not. I don't know what more to say aside from believing in something or believing in somebody and being right about him, her or it is one of the best feeling you could ever have. And being wrong is one of the worst.
So which one of these two reigns supreme - knowing or believing?
It's obvious that I believe belief to be the stronger word. Believing in the the "soul of a man rather than knowing him from his look," will win me over every day of the year.
Like I said before knowledge is power, but believing is divine. I hope I didn't lose you, and I know I didn't explain this as well as I could. ... I just wonder if other people actually think like this. You know, about words and how they play into everyday life.
I know, I think entirely too much. ... but maybe it should be the other way around: I believe a lot, know little and think less. Nah, that's ignorance at its best.