Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Beware of Fourth-Grade Fractions

So I recently engaged in a convo with an unnamed friend, you'll understand why the person is unnamed after this comma, about herpes. (I told you)

I don't know how it became the topic of discussion (the second time it's emerged in a conversation in the last seven days). I just flowed with it. Aside from the effects that you read about or see in high school health classes, I don't know much about it. I know the basics, and I know I don't want it.

There's one fact I do know, and I threw it at this friend.

"You know one in four people supposedly have it," I said.

The friend, a female, paused.

She finally responded with "Damn, I should have had it three times by now. I'm shocked I don't have it."

I started thinking to myself, is she telling me that she's slept with 12 people but in a roundabout way? Yeah, that's the math alright. She really thought that through.

"I guess that means you boned a dozen dudes, huh?"

We both started laughing hysterically. Her quick math proved to be the most creative way someone has ever told me how many people they've added to their list.

I told her how many times I should have caught it per the percentages so she could know my DC, though I think she already knew. And no, I'm not giving you my number or the number of times I should have caught the herp so you can figure it out for yourself.

But really, they say journalists don't like numbers. Ha. Think again.