Saturday, June 10, 2006

The Top 8 Obsession

MySpace is officially the new crack. Okay, let me rethink that statement. If Facebook is crack, MySpace is like baseball player's HGH.

Let me briefly explain. Belizeanchica, who has apparently given up on blogging and fills her daily log with hours of slacking, recently got into the MySpace craze. She, of course, added me as a friend, and I told her she needed to fix her Top 8 because it had all dudes in it, no females.

For those of you who don't know what a top 8 is, MySpace allows you to order your Top 8 to 16 friends by preference. It's like ranking your peeps as though they were in the USA Today Top 25 football poll. Yeah, it's ignorant.

People really get upset because they're not in the top 8 of friends they would consider to be good friends. I've had my fair share of my friends tell me off about it quaintly.

One guy even said, "that's (non PG-13 word) up because you're in mine."

When he said that I kind of shrugged my shoulders while thinking What am I supposed to do. I don't think you should be in my Top 8.

But I didn't say it. That would be mean.

I digress.

So after I told belizeanchica that she needed to rearrange her top 8, she did it and told me when she had finished. I went to her page to see her rearrangements.

I just knew I'd be in there, and the person that should be wouldn't.

"No this (expletive or Non PG-13 word) didn't," I thought. She left me out.

"And she put America's second biggest Liar in their! You've gotta be kidding me."

This happened on Friday. I knew she did what she did on purpose to draw a reaction out of me, and I wanted to hold off for as long as I could.

Yeah, it I lasted until today.

"What the (non PG-13 word) is that?" I asked. "How is he in your Top 8 and I'm not. This is a joke."

She started laughing hysterically. She got what she wanted, a rise out of me and my blood pressure (not really).

Then she said she'd added me later.

Meanwhile, I've made a few noticeable changes in my Top Friends of my own. It's weird because MySpace and Facebook cause third-grade arguments like this daily.

But the good thing is that you can catch up with people you haven't seen since the third grade and lost college friends. Case in Point: I'm recently caught up with my kindergarten crush (I'm dead serious) and I've gotten alot closer to a few people I went to Mizzou with that I rarely conversed with in CoMo.

So there are some good points. I won't complain. I'm in the Top 8's of the people that matter most, and that's what's important. ... Oh yeah, if you want to peep my MySpace page, it's www.myspace.com/dmansmi ...